“Twist on an old time favourite”
Preparation: 25 min
Cooking: 30 min
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
16 button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
500 g ground chicken, or ground turkey
200g canned tomatoes (diced)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
ground pepper and salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F.
2. Prepare the vegetables: finely chop the onion; thinly slice the mushrooms; peel the potatoes, cut them in half then boil them 20-25 min until very tender. Drain them well and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and sear it until it looses its pink colour, about 7-8 min.
4. When the chicken is golden-coloured, add the chopped onion then cook 2 min with stirring. Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and broth. Add the frozen peas and continue cooking until heated through, about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and tranfer the contents to a large baking dish, or distribute into individual baking dishes.
5. Pour the milk into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the butter and microwave on medium-high a few minutes, uncovered, until very hot. Add the cooked potatoes and mash until creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a spoonful of the potato mixture on top of the chicken mixture, then gently spread it with a spoon to cover evenly.
6. Bake in the middle of the oven until the top is golden-brown, about 30 min. Serve.