Photo Credit: staceynorris81
"These matchsticks are a terrific treat that kids can make."
Makes: 30 Matchsticks
600ml thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
3 sheets of puff pastry
1. Preheat your oven to 200c
2. Line your baking trays with grease paper
3. Slice your puff pastry into 5 long strips, then one long slice along the centre, opposite direction in which the first slice was made.
4. Transfer the strips onto the baking trays and glaze with milk and cook for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown, remove the pastries from the oven and using a serrated knife, carefully split each rectangle in half horizontally to create a top and bottom and allow time to cool.
5. Beat the cream and 2 tablespoons of sifted icing sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then add your vanilla extract or essence to the cream and mix through.
6. Spread the bottom of the pastry with jam and the top with cream and press the halves together and you're done.
7. Serve matchsticks dusted with sifted icing sugar
Tips: You can assemble and refrigerate matchsticks up to 2 hours before serving.