"Another of my Auntie Robyns recipes and one of my sister's favourites !"
60ml grapeseed oil
7 slices of white bread, crumbed
120g of salted cashews, roughly chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups cold water
1tsp mixed herbs
- 1ltr pudding basin with a lid (or you can use a piece of baking paper over the top of a ceramic bowl, sealed using a rubber band).
- a large pot with a lid, for steaming
- Lightly spray the inside of the pudding basin with cooking oil and line with a small circle of baking paper on the bottom.
- Saute the onions in a fry pan then transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients to the onion and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into the pudding basin and cover.
- Lower the basin into the large pot and fill the pot with water until it comes half way up the pudding basin. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for 2 hours, topping up with boiling water as necessary. Do not allow to boil dry.
- Once cooked, remove the pudding basin from the pot and allow to cool for approx 1/2 hour then remove the lid and turn out onto a plate.
Serve hot with a gravy and roast veggies or slice it up and use as a sandwich filler.
* Cover and refrigerate once cooled.